Would you like to join Team Domenica and help us to continue to lead the way in supported employment? Do you want to be part of a supportive organisation, playing to your strengths, gaining satisfaction and doing something where you can make a real difference?
Café and Food Prep Assistant
Job title: Café and Food Prep Assistant
Reports to: Café Manager
Team Domenica is a Brighton-based social enterprise charity supporting young people with learning disabilities into paid employment. By removing barriers to work, we help young people to discover their full potential, to live happy fulfilled lives, and to feel included within the local community.
We are looking for a Café and Food Prep Assistant to work at our café at Plus X on Lewes Rd . You will have plenty of initiative and excellent customer service skills. You must have an enthusiastic personality whilst having empathy for the particular needs of the candidates. You will also be adaptable and able to deal with the varied training needs of the candidates and their sometimes complex personalities. You will help to develop and hone our candidates’ skills to prepare them for the world of work and enable them to become more independent.
- To protect the health, safety and wellbeing of candidates, staff and customers and show an understanding of current legal requirements.
- To prepare food in accordance with the manager’s specifications in a safe and hygienic manner.
- To communicate effectively and have empathy with candidates with a diverse range of particular learning needs.
- To create a welcoming atmosphere for customers and encourage their continued use of the café.
- To maintain a good standard of tidiness and hygiene throughout the café.
- To support and direct candidates in carrying out their duties.
- To nurture candidates in order that they develop skills suitable for the workplace.
- To develop positive and meaningful relationships with candidates and other members of the staff team to promote the ethos of Team Domenica.
- To set a good example of tidy working in an environment of limited working space.
- Experience of working in a customer service role.
- An engaging and friendly personality.
- The ability to communicate well with other staff to ensure the smooth running of the café.
- Experience of working with people with learning disabilities is preferable, but empathy and an understanding nature are essential.
- The ability to multitask, be adaptable and swap duties often at very short notice.
- Barista training is preferable but not essential.
- Be prepared to assist the Café Manager with outside catering events as required as the business develops.
- Be imaginative and creative in assisting the Café Manager in initiating new ideas to develop the café.
- Be able to stay calm when occasionally presented with challenging behaviour from candidates.
- You must be able to pass a DBS check and provide two relevant job references.
Contract; Full time position Monday – Friday , and occasional Saturday when needed
Deadline for application: 29th October 2021
Email applications to:Bekki@teamdomenica.com