Would you like to join Team Domenica and help us to continue to lead the way in supported employment? Do you want to work in a supportive organisation, playing to your strengths, gaining job satisfaction and doing something where you can make a real difference?
Job title: Job Coach
Reports to: Job Coach Manager
Team Domenica removes barriers to work for people with learning disabilities. In doing so, we help young people to discover their full potential, to live happy fulfilled lives, and to feel included within the local community.
We are a registered charity, looking for competent Job Coaches to help our candidates enhance their strengths and improve their job skills in the workplace. You will be working one-to-one with young adults (19-24) with learning disabilities who need support in their Supported Internship Placement in the workplace.
A Job Coach needs to be patient, calm and committed to empowering and supporting our young adults. You must be able to encourage their strengths and work with the candidate and employer to accommodate difficulties specific to their needs. Excellent communication skills, critical thinking, and a commitment to building positive relationships are pre-requisites for this role. Special needs experience preferable but not essential.
Responsibilities and duties:
- To provide a range of strategies to support candidates with a learning disability in the workplace. Preferably using Systematic Training techniques.
- To advise and guide employers on how best to support a successful placement.
- To use knowledge of a candidate’s skills and employers’ needs to carve out jobs that will lead to regular, paid work.
- To support and promote the independence of candidates in a working environment including choice making and independent travel wherever possible.
- Liaise closely with teaching staff to provide a link between classroom and workplace learning.
- Maintain regular and good communication with parents/carers.
- Where possible locate a work buddy in the workplace who can build a positive professional, yet supportive relationship with the candidate.
- Monitor and evaluate progress of candidate.
- Keep weekly records and documentation and prepare appropriate reports.
- Knowledge and experience of working with young people with ASC, SLD and MLD (preferred but not essential).
- Proven experience as a Job Coach (preferred but not essential).
- Experience in developing employment plans.
- Ability to adhere to regulations and standards.
- Working knowledge of MS Office.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organisational and problem-solving ability.
- Reliability and flexibility are essential.
- Respect to diversity.
- Willingness to keep up to date with best practice.
- Safeguarding and health and safety awareness.
Contract type: Zero-hour contract; this post is part-time, mainly during term time, up to 12 hours per week. The majority of placements are in Brighton & Hove and surrounding areas so travelling to various locations will be essential.
Salary: £12 p/h
Apply by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Short-listed applicants will be required to fill out an application form as part of our Safer Recruitment process.
Team Domenica is committed to the safeguarding and protection of young people and vulnerable adults. Employment will be subject to the receipt of two satisfactory professional references and enhanced DBS certificate.
As we are working with vulnerable adults all staff at Team Domenica have a duty to set a strong example in the battle against Coronavirus. We expect employees and contractors to co-operate with and adhere to Team Domenica’s COVID-19 Policy which outlines measures and procedures that enable us to have a safe workplace.